- CAS No.: 79-41-4
- RTECS No.: OZ2975000
- DOT UN: 2531 60 (methacrylic acid, inhibited)
- DOT label: Corrosive (methacrylic acid, inhibited)
* Appearance and odor
Methacrylic acid is a colorless liquid with an acrid, repulsive odor. The commercial product usually contains an inhibitor to prevent polymerization.
CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
* Physical data
- Molecular weight: 86.09
- Boiling point (at 760 mm Hg): 163 degrees C (325.4 degrees F)
- Specific gravity (water = 1): 1.01 at 20 degrees C (68 degrees F)
- Vapor density: Data not available.
- Melting point: 16 degrees C (60.8 degrees F)
- Vapor pressure at 25.5 degrees C (78 degrees F): 1 mm Hg
- Solubulity: Soluble in warm water, alcohol, ether, alcohol and most organic solvents.